Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Well, I'm out here in Colorado. The drive was good. Lots of time to think. And only two cop scares! Funny how seeing a cop still sparks that awful feeling in your gut even if you're locked into the exact speed limit with cruise-control.
There was a crazy blizzard in Nebraska and Eastern Colorado with 50 mph winds. I passed at least three wrecked semis. two were jackknifed and one was on its side looking like a beached whale. Scary as hell and strange. I found myself checking the date to make sure it was May.
The town is nestled at the base of Sopris Mountain. Pretty cool. Once I'm acclimated and in good shape I'll hike it.
My landlady, Laurie, is an aging hippie who lived in Aspen when Hunter S. Thompson ran for sheriff on the Freak Power ticket. Everyone out here is pretty cool, but a lot of them are obsessed by "ORGANIC" foods. Why would you pay $30 more for a piece of lettuce just because some savvy businessman stuck the word "organic" on the label? Jesus.
The other night, Laurie had a friend and his date over for dinner. While setting the table, she brought out a vaporizer. The lack of oxygen and a huge hit went straight to my head and I had to duck out for a bit to get a hold of myself.
Work is pretty sweet. Mostly I just cruise the web for climbing news and write it up online. Sometimes I get to edit writers' stories, which is my favorite.
More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment