Search This Blog

Monday, May 26, 2008

Just got back from a weekend in Rifle. Well, no. That's a lie. Just got back from pizza and beers after showering after getting back from a weekend in Rifle. Rifle's a great canyon 1 hour away of limestone walls and greasy, over-used holds. But it's great. And Daniel, I realized much after the fact that when you asked if I wrote about my climbing experience you meant in the mag, not in my blog. Well, no, I don't write about my own climbing experiences in the mag. I'm not good enough. Yet.
I went there with an editor (Andrew) and his girlfriend (Jen). They climb 5.13. I was a bit intimidated at first by all the regulars there who all know each other. At some point Sunday afternoon, a couple of those regulars were leaving (in an Audi S8--sick car), the passenger jumped out, noticing Andrew was holding a Pabst Blue Ribbon (the original energy drink) and said, "Hey, you guys want some real beers?" Turns out, his friend driving the Audi is Adam Avery who owns Avery Brewing Company in Boulder. Delicious IPA.
We camped out there, and I got to use my new tent which is phenomenal. Except I was cold cuz it's a bit too big for one person alone. The stars were spectacular.
After a while, I was able to get comfortable in the canyon. I'm not used to the type of rock, nor am I at the level of the other people who chill there, but I had a great time nonetheless. They're psyched to see new people out there, and very encouraging. Got on some scary climbs a bit above me (ha) but I was able to struggle up.
Someone said I sound like Keanu Reeves. Good Lord.
The same phenomenon that causes the limestone to get polished also makes it pretty soft on the hands, unlike sandstone. Despite that, I climbed enough to tear hell out of my fingertips. I wonder if that will change my fingerprints? I really don't like having my prints in the system. Goddamn Big Brother.
Anyway, I'm not sure whether I like the Frying Pan (where there are lots of unique routes and plenty of potential first ascents (where I get to name them!) and a much nicer view and much closer to town and breakfast and dinner at Jefe's house with his 1 y/o baby) or Rifle (where there are lots of chill people and challenging routes and camping). For now, I'm going to go with the Pan. We shall see. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment