Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I had a dream this morning about teaching young kids--maybe fifth grade--about representative democracy. I was some sort of student teacher (because the real teacher was sitting against the wall on the side). Apparently my teaching style is to gather the kids close and have an open discussion trying to get them to tell me their understanding of the different words I use to describe political positions. A little girl plopped herself down right in front of me and started using a piece of chalk to color a blackboard eraser. I asked her, "Is there something wrong that you're trying to get my attention like that?" That's when I noticed some brown substance on the floor. Oh damn. This girl just shat her pants. I beckoned the real teacher over, and she took the little girl out of the classroom.
The kids were really getting into the discussion, and I think I made some headway in teaching them about the balance between necessity and screwage in our democratic system.
Overall, the dream was pretty damn sweet, and I kind of want to be a teacher now.

No comments:

Post a Comment