Search This Blog

Saturday, June 6, 2009

June already?

2/6/09
Wow. This month has really flown by, though it seems a lifetime has passed. Lima--or more specifically Miraflores--has rejuvenated my verve and pleasure in this trip after some discouraging experiences in Ecuador and through northern Peru. Goddamn leeches can´t keep me down forever.
The hostel in Mirafloras has been one of my favorites yet, rivalling Platypus as far as fun, accessibility, and atmosphere (and safety). Spencer showed up halfway through, and after hanging out for a while, we headed to Huaraz for some camping. Spending very little cash for a few days sounded pretty good.
I finally tried cuy (guinea pig) which was fun but very boney and did actually taste disappointingly similar to chicken.
Miraflores is a vibrant, youthful-energy town where I would like to spend lots more time if I were able to find a source of income. I took a few days to replace the necessary items--underwear, socks, toothbrush/paste, deodorant, shoes--and I´m now travelling much lighter. It´s liberating, if I don´t dwell on my lost stuff of sentimental (and monetary) value. My new Peruvian-design backpack is a piece of tourist junk compared to my other, and much less comfortble, but it´s also less bulky and awkward when boarding busses and taxis. Everything is at least dual in nature.

In central Lima, after buying our ticket to Huaraz, we were accosted by a fellow with the usual junk for sale. We were just shaking our heads when I spotted a flashlight among the cheap combs, pens, headphones, etc. He pulled it out, clicking it on and off to show us its wonderous capabilities.
How much?
Diez soles.
I said I´d buy it if he threw in three extra batteries. We needed a flashlight for camping since mine were gone (probably being sold elsewhere on the street for far less than their worth).
As we bartered, an older gentleman wandered up to watch. After listening to us for a bit, he asked in Spanish,
"Are you two from Argentina? or Brazil?"
The implications of his question are...

No comments:

Post a Comment